When trying to lose weight, our goal should be to reach body fat while maintaining muscle mass. Otherwise, you will look loose and flabby instead of looking tight and slim. Crash dieting is therefore not advisable as you will mainly lose water weight and muscle mass instead of actually burning fat. Body fat consists mainly of subcutaneous and visceral fat – the former is fat that is stored under the skin, and visceral fat is made up of layers of adipose tissue around the abdominal cavity and internal organs. In fact, one should never aim to become fat-free, as a certain amount of fat – around 3 to 5% in men and 10 to 15% in women – is absolutely essential for survival. In fact, a fat percentage below 32% in women and below 25% in men is generally considered normal. Exceeding these “normal” percentages can lead to obesity-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and even stroke. Hence, not only is it important to lower body fat in order to look and feel lighter and healthier, but it is also considered necessary to prevent life-threatening disorders. For this reason, in this post we are listing ways you can reduce body fat percentage quickly.
Why is “fat” so important?
All of our body cells contain some fat, and interestingly enough, 60% of the brain is made up of fat. An optimal number of feet is required to carry signals through the body and to produce hormones. Our bodies switch to fat as an alternative source of energy when carbohydrates are low. Fat also maintains core temperature and keeps the body warm. Fat is essential for the absorption of vitamins like A, D, and E because they are fat-soluble vitamins. Fats like omega-3s strengthen the heart and reduce inflammation in the body. When we look at all of these benefits, we should have healthy fat levels in the body.
However, as mentioned above, it is advisable to keep your body fat percentage at optimal levels in order to feel lighter, look leaner and prevent many diseases. Here are some ways to reduce body fat percentage.
10 ways to reduce body fat percentage quickly:
1. Maintaining a healthy calorie deficit: When a calorie deficit develops, our bodies begin to generate energy from stored fat. Most often it is the fat that is stored around the hips, stomach, thighs and arms. When you reduce calories from food sources, the fat stores are depleted and you lose weight. For example, if you consume 1500 calories a day and burn 2000 calories through exercise and be active for most of the day, you are in a calorie deficit. Do you want more insight? Read more about “18 Great Tips To Create A Calorie Deficit To Lose Weight” in this post.
2. Increase protein intake: when you consume enough protein, it increases the level of the fullness hormone “leptin”, inhibits appetite, burns more calories and, most importantly, helps build lean muscles. Check out various weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app to increase your protein intake and lose weight.
3. Combine strength training with HIIT: Exercise is essential for weight loss and to lower the percentage of fat. Moderate intensity in combination with strength training and HIIT (high intensity interval training) exercises are strongly recommended. Most importantly, with the HIIT routine, your body continues to burn calories and keep your metabolism high throughout the day due to the increased oxygen consumption. You would be surprised to know that after doing 30 minutes of HIIT workout, you can burn up to 100 calories an hour for 24 hours. HIIT also boosts enzymes that are responsible for burning fat, and it also lowers the levels of fat-producing enzymes. HIIT exercises are great for women because they burn more fat and calories in less time. Here is a list of 7 minute HIIT fat burning exercises that you can do at home.
4. Get Rid of Bad Carbohydrates: People who eat too many carbohydrates and too bad carbs in their daily diet have difficulty accessing stored fat because the body burns the carbohydrates available through diet mainly for energy and fuel, rather than reaching glycogen- and fat deposits. Refined carbohydrates cause sharp blood sugar spikes and the body quickly releases more insulin to lower blood sugar. Aside from regulating blood sugar, the hormone “insulin”, which is also a fat storage hormone, triggers the formation of new fat cells to store any extra carbohydrates that have been converted into fat droplets, especially around the abdomen, hips and thighs. Avoid refined carbohydrates and switch to complex carbohydrates instead.
5. Drink plenty of water: We should all drink more than 8 glasses of water to avoid unnecessary food cravings, to feel full and to mobilize stored fat.
6. Never crash diet: Don’t skimp on calories, because if you cut too many calories, the body begins to break down muscle along with fat for energy. Instead, check out various weight loss diets in the Rati Beauty app.
7. Cut out junk and processed foods: Fat loss can be a difficult task without cutting out junk / processed foods due to their high sugar, trans fat, and unhealthy fat content. Here are “18 Effective Tips To Satisfy Your Cravings For Indian Junk Food.”
8. Increase Metabolism to Burn More Calories: If a person’s metabolism is good and robust, it means that they will burn more calories even when they are resting. If someone can eat whatever they want and still fight off any weight gain, their robust metabolism probably needs all the credit. A minimum amount of calories is required per day for all body functions to function properly. When you decrease the supply of essential calories, the body lowers its metabolism to save energy. It is important to keep your metabolism high in order to lose weight steadily. Here are “21 Tricks To Boost Your Metabolism”.
9. Lower Stress: Losing weight itself can be a stressful process, but chronic stress is a major factor in preventing weight loss as it can increase levels of a hormone called cortisol, leading to weight gain. An important tip to shedding those extra pounds is to worry less about situations and stay carefree. Don’t make losing weight a job, make it a hobby or a passion. This will change the way you think about it and cause less stress in your head. Here are some effective ways to lose weight by reducing stress.
10. Be Active All Day / Take 10,000 Steps Per Day: If you can manage 10,000 steps per day, you can lose up to a pound a week! So get up and count every step!
We hope you include these tips on how to burn fat and lower body fat percentage.
How a High Protein Diet Can Help You Lose Weight
18 effective tips against cravings for Indian junk food