If you are determined to lose weight and become a better version of yourself, there are a number of rules, or non-negotiable rules, that you should absolutely follow in order to achieve successful weight loss, both on the scales and in other victories without scales (increased energy), clothes fit better, excessive self-confidence, etc.) you have to give up certain unhealthy factors because they are the biggest barriers to getting to a fitter. If you don’t follow these rules, losing weight will definitely become a daunting task and at some point you’ll want to give up the fight rather than keep fighting. On the other hand, if you included these non-negotiable things into your weight loss journey, losing weight would be a breeze, and the best part is that these are pretty easy to follow and don’t involve “starve and survive all day” just on pickles and carrots (futile strategies). So let’s dive in to find out what non-negotiable things are actually talking about:
1. Follow Proper Type of Diet: A good diet never forces you to eat cucumber and drink detox water all day to burn fat. Our bodies need an optimal amount of calories and nutrition to function properly. Our daily diet should be able to provide enough protein, vitamins, fiber, complex carbohydrates, minerals, and healthy fats to keep all hormones working properly and fat-burning enzymes to stay active. Saving calories without thinking about diet does not lead to weight loss. In fact, it’s not a sustainable way to lose fat either. So start with healthy eating programs so that Rati Beauty that doesn’t deprive you of food is actually promoting healthy eating to burn fat. Download the Rati Beauty App to find out how you can lose weight by eating healthy.
2. Remaining Calorie Deficit: A calorie deficit occurs when a person uses fewer calories than those burned while exercising, resting, or performing basic bodily functions. In contrast, when a person consumes more calories than those burned, excess calories occur, resulting in weight gain. To have a calorie deficit, one must cut 500 calories in order to lose weight smoothly without starving, lowering energy levels, or impairing bodily functions. In women, the number of calories must not fall below 1200 calories per day, and in men it should not fall below 1500 calories per day. Read over 18 great tips to create a calorie deficit to lose weight.
3. Regular exercise: We mentioned earlier that 80% diet and 20% exercise consist of weight loss. It is possible to lose weight just by dieting, but your body will not look toned unless a little exercise is done to tone the muscles. Exercise is also required to instruct the body to use up all of the stored fat in order to lose weight.
4. Exercise during the day: It is not enough to just exercise 20 or 30 minutes a day and then sit at your desk or lie down on the couch for the rest of the day. The thermogenesis of non-exercise activities helps burn a few calories here and there throughout the day. This includes dancing in the shower every half hour, or getting up from your desk, or just fidgeting your legs when you are sitting! Read this post on how you can burn calories with NEAT activities throughout the day.
5. At least 7 hours of sleep: Only sleep well through the night to lose weight and they call it beauty sleep for no reason. Sleep deprivation can cause you to gain weight, slow down your metabolism, unbalance hormones, increase inflammation, and halt all repair and renewal processes at the cellular level. Bad sleep also increases your cravings for unhealthy and high calorie foods in the morning. When you sleep less, the stress hormone “cortisol” also increases and this hormone can literally make you fat.
6. Stress Management: In the previous point we mentioned how less hours of sleep can increase the stress hormone “cortisol” which causes weight gain, slows metabolism and sabotages all efforts to lose weight. Practice simple stress management techniques, such as: For example, play with a pet, meditate, exercise, take brisk walks, listen to music, or just take a nap to lower cortisol levels.
7. Self-love: When you start loving yourself, you will appreciate the processes that lead to a healthier person. Being body positive doesn’t mean you can’t put in an effort to shed extra pounds that are between you and your health. A negative attitude and body image pull you down and make you incapable of losing weight. Love your body, feed it healthy food, and shed extra pounds to help you feel healthy.
8. Including whole foods: Whole foods instead of refined foods are essential not only for weight loss, but also for good health. Foods that have not been processed without salt, sugar or preservatives and that end up on your plate in their natural form are considered whole foods. Vegetables, cereals, whole grains, fruits and legumes are whole foods. Without them in your diet, it’s hard to lose pounds.
9. Drink Plenty of Water: Water helps you lose weight in a number of ways – it helps burn fat, keeps the digestive system smooth, curbs appetite, flushes out toxins, and lowers water retention. Drink water whenever you can and don’t wait for your body to send out thirsty signals, which most of us interpret as “hunger signals.” This leads to unnecessary snacking and an accumulation of extra calories, most of which the body stores as fat.
10. Reduce the added sugar: The biggest benefit of not using added sugar is weight loss! Insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels in the body, but it’s also a fat storage hormone that helps the body store fat primarily in the stomach area. Once you cut out on extra sugar, along with regular exercise and dieting, you may notice significant weight loss. There are several ways that sugar gets into your daily diet and it is imperative to reduce the amount of added sugar in order to lose weight. Extra sugar is found in cupcakes, candy, chocolates, etc., but sugar is not always presented in its simple form in processed foods. It is extremely important to check the ingredients list of the packaged foods to find out how much extra sugar to add. Look for these names in the ingredients list. Here are some common foods that you can find hidden sugars in.
11. No Junk or Processed Foods Daily: Junk or processed foods can be part of an infrequent indulgence, not a healthy diet. Junk / processed foods can put you at higher risk for type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, etc. Here’s how there are 20 clever ways to train your brain to resist junk food.
12. Eat adequate protein and fiber: Protein is considered an essential nutrient needed for cells to grow and repair. When it comes to weight loss, it is considered an indispensable nutrient as it keeps you full longer, boosts your metabolism and reduces appetite, maintains lean muscle mass, and is mostly needed for the synthesis of fat burning hormones. Speaking of fiber, it is necessary to maintain a healthy digestive system, eliminate constipation, regulate blood sugar levels, and improve overall health. Fiber also helps curb appetite, reduce belly fat, and thus help with weight loss too. Dietary fiber also greatly reduces appetite by regulating the production of the hunger hormone “ghrelin”. Because fiber is low on the glycemic index, it also does not increase insulin, reducing the chance of extra calories being stored in the body as fat.
Also, fill at least half of your plate with vegetables and watch the pounds come off! Don’t compromise on vegetables as most of them are low in calories, contain important vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that will aid your weight loss efforts.
Hope you can include these non-negotiable elements for successful and sustainable weight loss.
18 great tips for creating a calorie deficit when losing weight
How to burn calories with thermogenesis without physical activity