Blueberries, kale, kohlrabi, and acai berries are some superfoods that are popular around the world because they contain many nutrients in small amounts and therefore fall under the “nutrient-rich” food category. Most superfoods contain a lot of vitamins, protein, fiber, micronutrients, minerals, healthy fats, antioxidants. The good news is that Rati Beauty weight loss diets use many superfoods in their diet programs that are easily available in India as well. But like all healthy foods, portion control is essential when consuming superfoods as some of them can lead to weight gain rather than increasing weight loss. In this post, we list 14 superfoods that can make you obese. So read our weight loss diet in the Rati Beauty app to find out how you can use these powerful foods to get leaner, healthier and fitter.
What is a superfood?
Any food that is filled with many nutrients and that benefits the human body can be called a “superfood”. Superfoods are loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, proteins, etc. without adding to the calorie load or number.
How do superfoods increase weight loss?
Superfoods are nutrient-rich food options that increase weight loss – from anti-inflammatory antioxidants to appetite suppressing fiber and proteins to fat-burning omega-3s that boost your metabolism – most superfoods are loaded with these factors. However, portion control is essential with this category of food as well, as some of them are high in calories and we will list them one by one here.
1. Chia seeds: These tiny seeds contain fiber, healthy fats, protein, and other weight loss factors, but only 28g of chia seeds contain around 137 calories.
2. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and a healthy treat for health and weight. In about 28 g you get 155 calories and about 9 g of fat. So nibble on just one or two squares a day.
3. Avocado: Every weight loss expert suggests the use of avocado in the daily diet; However, this fruit, which stimulates metabolism, is also high in calories. A medium-sized avocado has 250 calories and 23 grams of fat.
4. Pistachios: Nobody can say “no” to a handful of pistachios because they are extremely tasty and high in fiber and content. Hold your breath though, 100 g pistachios contain 562 calories.
5. Dates: It’s a healthy option to satisfy your sweet tooth. They contain iron, magnesium, essential minerals and other nutrients, but they also contain natural sugars and around 235 calories in 100 g.
6. Peanut butter: The combination of peanut butter with apple is considered a healthy snack with a high protein and vitamin content as well as healthy fats that stimulate the metabolism. However, 2 tablespoons contain around 190 calories. Therefore, practice portion control of delicious butter.
7. Ghee: Desi Ghee has long been the bad guy in weight loss circles, but Desi Ghee, which is high in omega-3 fatty acids, helps mobilize fat molecules from fat cells for use as energy. It also contains vitamins A, E, and K. Clarified butter or ghee is very popular around the world as it provides amazing benefits to the human body, including increasing immunity, maintaining the digestive system, and cleaning the liver. It’s also a great food if you’re looking to lose weight as it boosts your metabolism to a great extent. Just two teaspoons a day is just enough to get all of the claimed benefits, because keep in mind that 1 tablespoon of clarified ghee has 42 calories.
8. Eggs: Do we even need to get into the amazing benefits of eggs? An egg contains approximately 75 calories containing up to 7 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, 1.6 grams of fat, and a variety of other minerals, vitamins, lutein, carotenoids, and so on. If you’re only eating two eggs a day, don’t skip the yolks, they pack most of the punch. Have them stir, boil, or poach – they taste amazing in all shapes, but you need to practice portion control even with this healthiest food.
9. Apples: How can someone gain weight by eating the healthiest fruit – “apple”? An apple a day can certainly keep the doctor away, but if you overeat it adds up to 52 calories in a medium-sized apple.
10. Almond Butter: This butter is a great source of healthy monounsaturated fat, which is high in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids and which helps boost your metabolism. However, 2 tablespoons contain around 190 calories.
11. Honey: This viscous liquid is full of nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties, but then it also has natural sugars and 64 calories in one tablespoon.
12. Olive Oil: Choosing olive oil as a staple food is a great way to boost weight loss. Then keep a close eye on the amount of oil as it is high in fat and high in calories.
13. Coconut Oil: People in the west are turning to coconut oil after realizing the amazing weight loss benefits it has with its medium chain fatty acids. It helps with overall fat burning, but measure it every time you use it for cooking as it is also a high fat oil.
14. Walnuts: It’s a really good source of healthy fats, also known as omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and antioxidants. Along with almonds, macadamia, pistachios, it’s one of the healthiest nuts, but wait, 100 g of walnuts have 654 calories!
But as mentioned above, you can use these superfoods to help you lose weight if used in the right amount. Check out our weight loss diets in the Rati Beauty app.
Almond Butter Or Peanut Butter – Which Is Healthier?
5 different ways to use honey in a weight loss diet