Your shopping list can, to a good degree, determine whether you would lose weight or gain a few extra pounds. If you have made up your mind to lose weight and get healthier and fitter in the year ahead, it would be wise to give a little bit of importance to grocery shopping. In this post, we are going to list 8 food shopping mistakes that can hinder weight loss and why you should correct them right away.
1. You buy unhealthy snacks like fries and candy in bulk: Okay, so you believe in buying things in bulk, especially snacks and processed foods that are bought when you purchase them. Avoid such offerings as they are likely to be high in calories. Just check the ingredients list to be sure.
2. You don’t read nutrition labels: It would be a good habit to spend some time reviewing food nutrition labels as they detail total calories, saturated fat, added sodium or sugar levels. Also, you can eliminate the possibility of trans fats in your diet by reading the label correctly.
3. Shopping without a grocery list: If you go shopping without a grocery list, you have not made any meal preparation plans and are likely to gravitate towards unhealthy foods that can attract with colorful packaging and fancy slogans such as “fortified with vitamins and minerals” or fat-free content . “Here is an extremely helpful shopping list from Rati Beauty that will help you lose weight by eating the right kind of food.
4. You shop on an empty stomach: Various studies have proven this theory that when shoppers are on an empty stomach, they tend to pick unhealthy and ready-to-eat items that are usually high in calories. When shopping for a healthy snack, you’re more likely to read labels, make smart choices, and pick whole foods instead of junk and processed foods.
5. They hardly ever check the manufacturing and expiration dates: This is absolutely important no matter what you buy from the grocery store, whether it’s whole grains or just a cup of yogurt. Read the expiration date and don’t choose anything closer to that date as it would be less fresh than before.
6. They Pick Non-Fat Stuff: When the fat content is ripped out of food it usually becomes dull and tasteless. To appeal to consumer taste buds, companies add things like piles of sugar, refined carbohydrates, salt, emulsifiers, and thickeners that add a high amount of calories to the body. Such a tendency defeats the whole purpose of actually going “low fat” in order to lose weight.
7. You’re missing the “Extra Sugar” label: Extra sugar is found in cupcakes, candy, chocolates, etc., but sugar is not always presented in its simple form in processed foods. It is extremely important to check the ingredients list of the packaged foods to find out how much extra sugar to add. Look for these names in the ingredients list. Check out some of the common foods that you can find at the grocery store where you can find hidden sugars.
8. You don’t mind testing specimen bites: A bite here and there of specimens doesn’t seem like much, but they add up and reset your calorie deficit value. Say “no” to food samples, especially sugary and high-sodium products.
Why Low Fat and Fat Free Products Are Not Good for Weight Loss
48 Different names for sugar that is easily added to processed foods