Are you an “avowed” gourmet who has absolutely lost “self-control” over delicious delicacies and therefore believes that a diet to lose “extra” weight is not your thing? Food lovers (only those looking to hit a specific number on the scales) should definitely read this post as it will help you change your attitudes towards food and weight loss. The love of food doesn’t have to be the love of unhealthy food, and you don’t have to develop disdain for food in general to reach your weight goal. Most weight loss diets mistakenly promote food deprivation and crash dieting as the only means of shedding extra layers of fat, and this prevents most foodies from even attempting any attempt in that direction. In reality, however, a correct weight loss diet would encourage you to eat healthy and really good, and that is the concept the Rati Beauty diet follows – getting you on the right kind of food without food deprivation or crash- Diet. Let’s find out how food lovers can lose weight without losing interest in food.
1. Portion control: Portion control is an essential aspect not only to lose weight, but also to maintain optimal health and prevent diseases such as type 2 diabetes, stroke and heart disease. Portion control also creates a calorie deficit, which is imperative to targeting extra fat. If you have no idea how to do portion control, here are 10 Food Portion Control Tips for Weight Loss.
2. Eat slowly and chew properly: If you eat quickly without eating mindfully, the body does not have enough time to register the feeling of fullness and it is easy to overeat. If you eat too fast, your brain won’t get the signal to stop once you’re full. This means that you are often eating more than you actually need. Another interesting fact is that it takes about 20 minutes for the brain to register that you have eaten something. If you slow down, you can actually hit the saturation point during the eating process itself and keep yourself from piling up extra pounds.
3. Be active and stay on your feet for most of the day: A sedentary lifestyle is the leading cause of many health problems, and obesity is just one of them. Just being out all day can be healthier for you than rigorous exercise. Simple changes in your daily routine like climbing stairs instead of the elevator, household chores like washing and cleaning, and standing and walking while on the phone really make a difference. So get active and manage at least 10,000 steps per day. A little footwork would go a long way too – walking, jogging, running, climbing stairs are just a few examples.
4. Swap unhealthy foods for healthy options: Revise your food choices. Order salads and healthy dishes from your favorite restaurants if you are a food lover. Instead of trying fried snacks or tasty high-calorie mocktails, try vegetable soups. Instead of ice cream, try Greek yogurt instead of packaged juices – sip fresh juices. Do these little things because they make a big difference. Also read about “50 Healthy Food Swaps Every Foodie Should Try”.
5. Practice Yoga: It is one of the most effective forms of exercise to keep fit and healthy. Eliminate body aches and pains, burn fat, and speed up your metabolism by practicing simple yogasanas every day. It will benefit not only your body but your mind as well.
6. Drink more H2O: Drinking water increases the metabolism, cleanses the body of waste and acts as an appetite suppressant. Drinking it before meals will make you feel fuller and can significantly reduce the amount of calories. As you drink more water, your body no longer becomes water bound and you lose those extra pounds of water.
7. Quit frequent snacking: Frequent snacking can absolutely affect your weight loss goals as insulin spills up every time you eat something and frequent spikes trigger the conversion of excess calories into fat, especially around the abdomen and hips. Follow and stick to planned meal and snack times. A few bites here and there, a cookie or two on breaks, and a bite in a slice of pizza don’t seem like much, but all of them add calories. Check out the perfect time for meals and snacks in the Rati Beauty app to fix frequent snacking.
8. Cheat Meal is a Must: This is something to follow. Reserve guilty treats for fraudulent meals so you can better stick to your weight loss diet. On your cheating day, just consume your favorite food and then limit yourself to all other days.
9. Have your last meal at 7pm: An early dinner is a good idea as the food is digested better and the calories burned out as the metabolism is still high and you would sleep better with a lighter stomach.
10. Protein-rich breakfast: Protein is a nutrient that is of great use in losing weight as it makes you feel full longer, suppresses appetite, and helps burn more calories (due to its thermal properties).
11. Swap refined carbohydrates for complex carbohydrates: Foods like sugar, candy, white bread, pizza, cookies, cakes, burgers, pizza, chocolates, etc. have refined carbohydrates that increase insulin levels and promote the conversion of extra calories into fat molecules. Refined carbohydrates can hinder fat burning, especially belly fat. Switching to complex carbohydrates can speed up the entire fat burning process. So switch to brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat, quinoa, beans, legumes, and grains now.
12. Avoid sodas and artificial drinks: Soft drinks and carbonated beverages are loaded with sugar and empty calories, which can lead to rapid weight gain. Hence, the best way to lose weight is to avoid them completely.
13. Eat only healthy fats: Swap unhealthy fats for healthy fats with omega-3 fatty acids, which help mobilize fat from fat cells. Avocados, eggs, nuts, fish oil, olive oil, ghee are some foods that you can find plenty of healthy fats in.
14. Practice pre-loading water: Pre-loading water is a healthy and almost effortless way to aid weight loss. With this strategy, experts recommend drinking 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such an amount of water before a meal will stretch your stomach considerably and as a result the hunger hormone “ghrelin” would be released less. This means that with less food and less calorie intake, you would feel full. It’s an effective strategy to combat overeating. It is a fact that most of us do not consume enough water during the day and most of the time we are just thirsty and not really hungry. Frequent hunger pangs are most likely caused by dehydration. If you can supply your body with more H2O, you can lose weight quite effectively.
So, foodies, if you are thinking of losing weight, start implementing these tips. 🙂
14 Weight Loss Rules That Will Make You Gain Weight Instead
12 Amazing Tips to Stick to Your Weight Loss Diet