Wearing kohl is one of the most unique and beautiful things about Indian makeup. And while we’re always on the lookout for smudge-proof, waterproof, and long-lasting kohl or cabbage pencils, we know all too well that these products are extremely difficult to remove from sight. Since kohl or cabbage is worn at the waterline of the eye, it is very important not to use harsh soaps or regular facial cleansers to get rid of the product. In this post, I am going to suggest some simple, gentle, and effective methods that you can use to completely remove all traces of kohl from your eyes. Here are a few ways you can gently and effectively remove kohl from your eyes:
1. Coconut Oil: One of the safest and most effective ingredients that will help you remove all types of makeup, especially eye and lip makeup, is coconut oil. Make sure you use the virgin, cold-pressed variety. You can take the coconut on a Q-tip or cotton pad and gently press it against the waterline. Leave it there for a few seconds and gently wipe the product off.
2. Olive Oil: Olive oil is another nutrient-dense oil that can be used to remove makeup and moisturize the delicate area around the eyes. Again, it is advisable to use the organic and extra virgin version of the oil and use the same technique as with coconut oil.
3. Cleansing Milk: If using an oil isn’t your thing, good ol ‘Cleansing Milk works just as well. Take a sufficient amount of cleansing milk on a cotton ball and gently wipe the kajal with it. You can repeat this 2-3 times until the kajal comes off completely. Make sure you use a very soft cotton ball or pad.
4. Micellar water: Micellar water is another great option for removing kohl residue on the eyes. Choose a micellar water that is right for your skin type. Pour a little into a bowl and dip a Q-tip into it. Once the Q-Tip has soaked the product, you can use it to gently wipe the kajal off the waterline.
5. Rose water: Rose water is another very gentle and effective ingredient for removing eye makeup. It doesn’t sting the eyes at all and effectively removes all traces of kohl.
6. Petroleum jelly: You can also use petroleum jelly, like good ol ‘petroleum jelly, to remove kohl residue from your eyes. Take a little petroleum jelly on your fingertip and massage it on the waterline or anywhere that there are traces of kohl. Now take a cotton pad and gently wipe the product.
7. Gentle Face Wipes: Nourishing and gentle face wipes (which are free from harsh chemicals) can also be used as cleaning wipes to remove kohl from the eyes. This is especially useful when you are on the go.
8. Wet piece of cloth: One of the quickest ways to remove kajal from your eyes is to take a very soft piece of cloth like a handkerchief and hold it under the faucet for a few seconds. Remove the excess water from the cloth and gently wipe the kajal with it.
9. Raw Milk: Yes, we can use raw milk to wipe off eye makeup. In fact, you can apply raw milk all over your face to lighten the skin tone as well.
10. Baby Oil: This is the gentlest eye makeup remover you can get on the market. Soak a cotton ball in a few drops of baby oil and wipe it off smoothly. Rinse eyes with lukewarm water.
11. Almond Oil and Aloe Vera Gel: This pack of almond oil and aloe vera gel not only completely removes kohl, it also nourishes the eye area and reduces the appearance of dark circles. Mix aloe vera and almond oil in the same proportion. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture, blot all eyes, and gently wipe off the makeup. Later, rinse your eyes out with lukewarm water.
12. Jojoba Oil: This natural oil is extremely good for acne prone skin as it does not clog pores. To make a natural eye makeup remover with jojoba oil, mix equal amounts of jojoba oil and rose water and dip a cotton ball in it. Dab over the kohl and gently wipe off any makeup.
Lakme Eyeconic Kajal
Does petroleum jelly thicken the eyebrows?
How to make kohl (cabbage) for eyes at home
Top 30 Kohl and Kohl Pencils for Indian Girls